Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Melbourne’s Tennis Shame

Yesterday saw violence flare at the tennis during the Australian Open here in Melbourne between Serb and Croat supporters. As I’ve mentioned before on this blog, I’m not into sport much myself, but we are all used to riots at the football, in fact it’s expected but, this is tennis, not the sort of game that engenders the pack mentality that male dominated football does, I mean old grannies might have spilled their strawberries and cream.. Is there nothing sports fans won’t come to blows over?

Today temperatures hit the forties again around Victoria; bushfires near Benalla took out a transformer which supplies electricity to the state from NSW resulting in major loss of load and subsequent power blackouts. Trains and trams are badly effected, many traffic lights are out and more than 100,000 homes are without power (luckily I’m not effected at this time so I can still blog). Major thunder storms and flash flooding episodes are forecast for tonight and the public are being told to stay indoors to avoid possible death by lighting and or hail stones…

You know, some days it just feels like the end of the world is nigh.

No comments: