Saturday, June 17, 2006

It's fixed! No wait, it's broken again...

Another month passed and no posts from me. I feel ashamed. No excuses, so I will make none. Here is the latest on the hot water debacle in the kitchen at work:

Nothing happened for a long time and my issues with EKS continued. Then a technician arrived – who proceeded to replace the COLD drinking water filter and dispenser. The new tap for this has been placed next to the tap for the (broken) hot water dispenser. Now why would a perfectly good existing water filter be taken away and replaced with a new one when in fact the problem facing the collective staff is the lack of hot water? This is of course standard logic for the organization within which I work – completely unfathomable. OK, I admit that perhaps the old water filter was not filtering properly and had to be replaced for safety reasons (tasted fine to me). In addition, the water from the new filtered drinking water system tastes like warm metal, and is undrinkable.

Eventually a hot water service technician turned up and fixed the hot water dispenser, which continued to work well - for about three days. In those three days I had of course become complacent and stupidly assumed the tap would work without any problems from then on. So it was with great disbelief that I came to fill my coffee mug three days later to find nothing coming out of the tap but a couple of gurgles and a drop or two of tepid water. Great. A couple of days later it began working again, then stopped again. Of course nothing has been done to fix the ongoing problems, so I guess I’ll just have to accept that this state of affairs is within the ‘accepted tolerance levels’ of the staff.

Perhaps I am being harsh on my employer. In all probability it isn’t the company’s fault, but fault of the equally inefficient and lumbering building management and the relationship between them and my employer. No wonder my company gets cheap office space…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thx for putting my Backhomeuk site on your list. You can also look at my blog on platform27. Cheers, Mark (aka cafeconleche)