Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ahem!

All the way into work on the train today about five people in my immediate vicinity of the carriage cough and spluttered continuously for the whole journey. Normally I don’t notice the odd cough here or there on the train but this morning was different. First one person coughed loudly, then the next, then another as if they were all taking it in turns. Maybe it was similar to the yawn catching syndrome that exists – when one person yawns those nearby tend to ‘catch' the yawn. Anyway these coughing antics reduced my mood to one of annoyance. I know, these people probably couldn’t help it, but nor could I help being annoyed.


Then I arrived at work and saw the quote on the bottom of today’s calendar page:


“A cough is something that you yourself can’t help, but everybody else does on purpose just to torment you.”

- Ogden Nash

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like that quote! Doesn't it feel sometimes as though the whole world is against you?

Simon said...

Yep, some mornings you wake up and just know it's going to be one of those days... I am not a cynic - I'm a realist!