Saturday, September 30, 2006

Open a window...

Observation No. 3. Continuing the London public transport theme. I was lucky in that the time I spent in London earlier this month was hot and sunny (high twenties most of the time), I guess I take good air-conditioning for granted here in Australia (as everyone does, it would be a tough place to live without it). But why has the London Transport system not heard of it? OK, so some of the many and varied types of train carriage may posses something that masquerades as air con but in reality puts out about as much cold air as old lady with one of those old folding fans and an arthritic wrist.

Now I know I sound like I am bagging London, but surely an air-conditioning upgrade would be for the city’s own good. It just wasn’t pleasant sitting in a fetid, stifling atmosphere deep beneath the streets – both on the platforms and on the carriages. Ok, so cold, fresh(ish) air would only be of benefit for a small part of the year and the installation costs would, no doubt, be prohibitive, but really think of all the deliriously happy commuters London Transport would have on it’s hands. I bet their heaters are good though…

No comments: