Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who turned out the lights?

My company moved to new a new office building last year. I found my new desk was situated in a fantastic position, in fact the best position I have ever found myself sitting, I had a full length window which overlooked the Yarra river and enjoyed that most sought after of commodities in an office, natural sunlight, all through my working day. You may have noticed that that last statement was in the past tense. That’s because my beloved position has moved, yes it’s over and I, along with the rest of my department, have been banished to the dark and foreboding cave that is the centre of the open plan floor, a space with no more than three faltering and asthmatic neon tubes to illuminate the pervading gloom.

I have been sitting at my new desk now for a week, and as expected, it is like working on the night shift. Whilst at my desk last Wednesday, just before drifting off into a short doze brought about by the monotonous work and the low, almost romantic, light levels, I counted all of the desks I have sat at in the past ten and a half years of working for my employer. It was quite surprising, almost twenty in fact, spanning five buildings. You can see how I fell asleep can’t you?

No comments: